Extract from Morrinsville Star, October 26th 1934

The Morrinsville golf club, which is now in a flourishing condition with a nine-hole course on 50 acres of freehold property a mile from the town, was formed at a meeting held on Saturday, June 17th 1911. Mr S.S. Allen presided. Mr W D Horne, at the time manager of the Bank of New Zealand, was appointed secretary. The first links were situated on Mr Gibb’s farm. At the annual meeting of the Club in 1912 Mr S.S. Allen presided, and officers were elected as follows: Captain: Dr Walls; Secretary and Treasurer: Mr W D Horne; Committee: Messrs S.S. Allen, D. Campbell, A. Hartken, F. R. Fraser, Miss Walls, Mrs Horne and Mrs Parlour.

A Committee was set up to lay out greens on the paddocks that form the front portion of Lockerbie. The club played on Lockerbie until 1918, when a move was made to the F. A. C. property near the Piako Bridge on the road to Te Aroha. In 1922 the club took a lease of a property near the bridge on Kereone Road, about two miles from the borough, and this was the links until 1926, when the club acquired its present freehold property of 50 acres at the end of Coronation Road and close to the borough. A Clubhouse was opened in 1932.

This information along with many other stories and a collection of photos is included in the book, “Changing Times”written by Karen Semmens a history of The Morrinsville Golf Club 1911-2011.